Re: Linux as a USB hub?

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Rogan Dawes wrote:

> > > Also, I saw "dummy_hcd.c", which sounds interesting.
> >
> > It is.  It's meant for testing more than anything else; it provides an
> > emulated host and device controller pair, so you can test a gadget
> > driver even on a computer that doesn't have any USB device hardware.
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> Any plans to document how to use that, since I see that you wrote it? :-)

I didn't write it (see the Copyright lines at the top of the source
file), but I did contribute to it and I help maintain it.

There are no plans to document it beyond what is already available at
linux-usb.org or by reading the source code.  Besides, it's so easy to
use that it hardly needs any documentation.  Basically, you just
modprobe it.

(There are some module parameters you can set if you want to force the
emulated connection to be SuperSpeed vs. High speed vs. Full speed, or
if you want to emulate more than one controller.  Unless you're doing
something special, you can ignore them.)

Alan Stern