Re: Linux as a USB hub?

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 06:47:43PM +0100, Krzysztof Opasiak wrote:

> On 12/02/2015 06:34 PM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> >Krzysztof Opasiak <k.opasiak@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> >>That's why we will try to improve udl driver. Currently we try to
> >>setup machine at university which will run linux and then windows in
> >>virtual machine. We would like to connect dl to this computer, pass it
> >>to virtual machine and then use usbmon + wireshark and try to figure
> >>out new encodings used by windows driver and add them to udl driver
> >>but probably it will take a lot of time...
> >
> >This might be old news to you, but there are actually very good open
> >source(!) tools for USB sniffing in Windows: http://desowin.org/usbpcap/
> >So you don't need the additional complexity of a virtual machine.
> >
> >You can of course still analyze the dumps on Linux.  Just feed them to
> >Wireshark.
> >

> First of all thank you very much for reminding about that tool. I
> heard about it but never used it.
>
> Unfortunately I'm a little bit afraid that it may generate some
> problems. We need to interact with windows graphics to generate some
> well-defined payload to device and try to analyse it. So I'm simply
> afraid that launching and manipulating some additional tools on the
> same system may generate some unwanted traffic:(

Yes, I was contemplating a script that would do something like set the screen resolution (if necessary), set the screen to Green, then Red, then blue for a defined period, then shut down the VM, in order to generate repeatable traffic to the displaylink device. Then, depending on how the fake implementation progresses, one could compare the traffic sent to the real device vs that sent to the fake.

Rogan