Re: USB resume issue

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Alan Cooper wrote:

> I agree that for USB suspend modes, VBUS must be on, and our hardware
> behaves that way for runtime suspend. The question is for system wide
> suspend (S3/STR) can the system shut down the USB hardware entirely.

Oh, okay, I misunderstood.

> The ACPI spec and Linux Documents/power/states.txt seem to allow either
> design. From states.txt under S3 mode: "In many cases, all peripheral buses
> lose power when entering STR, so devices must be able to handle the
> transition back to the On state".

I'm not aware of any document stating whether USB buses should remain
powered while an ACPI-based system is in S3.  If it's not spelled out
in the ACPI spec then it probably isn't mentioned anywhere.

On the other hand, you should consider that if the bus isn't powered
then remote wakeup will not work.  This may be surprising to some
users.

Adapting wait_for_ss_port_enable() does seem like the best solution to
the immediate problem.

Alan Stern