Re: [Linux USB] enable/disable individual ports

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a libusb (USB-2.0_ tree with the following layout:
>
> HOST (USB 2.0) -> 5 port hub (master) -> 5 x 10 port hub -> 50 x USB devices
>
> It is a 50 unit mobile device charger and also enables USB data comms to
> the individual devices. Each node is independently powered. The devices
> are all the same model/make. I know this is a relative corner case for USB
> 2.0 standard but that is another story.
>
> Is it possible to reset the ports on the 5 port hub (master) individually
> with libusb or some other system level command?

I have written a program (for Linux only; it doesn't use libusb) that
issues a reset to a single device:

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=126944503308931&w=2

You can use this to reset each of the 10-port hubs in turn.  Or even to
reset the 5-port hub.

> Here's the scenario:
>
> When I insert usb devices with the entire chain connected I see varying
> results for the number of devices detected by the HOST. Sometimes 15 are
> detected, sometimes 34, 22, 5, etc... However If I disconnect the cables
> for the 10 port hubs to the 5 port master hub before I insert all the
> devices and then connect each 10 port hub one at a time with a delay to
> ensure all the devices on that hub are detected all 50 devices are
> detected on the host.

It sounds like there may be something wrong with that 5-port hub.  This
sort of thing _should_ work reliably.

> So I would like to know if there is a method to disable/enable the ports
> on the 5 port master without resetting the entire bus or causing the sub
> nodes/hubs to "bounce" their connections.

I don't know of any way to disable an individual port on a hub.  Note
that disable is different from reset.

Alan Stern