Obtaining USB vendor/product ID in C language given a modem file path

Hi,

If this isn't the correct mailing list for this question, do let me know if there's a better one where I could ask.

I have a C language program that talks to modems and these days it is almost always a USB modem. For diagnostic purposes, I would like to be able to pass the modem's file path and get back the vendor and product ID info (at least), and if I could also get the vendor name, that would be great. Portable code would be the best so I can compile it on Ubuntu, Fedora, Raspbian, etc.

For example, given the modem is at /dev/ttyACM0 and lsusb gives:

     Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0572:1329 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.

I'm looking to pass /dev/ttyACM0 to some C code and ideally get the string "0572:1329 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.", but if I can only easily get just the "0572:1329" string, that would be OK, too.

Once retrieved it would simply be logged to a text file and/or printed on the screen. I already know about modem AT query commands (like ATI3) but I'm looking to get the USB hardware info.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Todd