Re: at91sam9x5: USB mass storage gadget problems

Hi Douglas,

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 14:15:30 -0500
Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >> ehci_pci driver is being used. Part of the X201's syslog is
> >> attached in which a driver complains about the invalid maxpacket
> >> values of 64.
> >>
> >> So its seems that the ehci drivers as used on the X201 can work
> >> around the invalid maxpacket value (64) while the xhci drivers
> >> used by the X240 (due to the USB 3.0 host ports) get tripped up.
> >
> > Yes, I think that's right.  The restriction that high speed bulk
> > endpoints must have a maxpacket size of 512 is enforced by the xHCI
> > hardware but not by the EHCI hardware; this explains why ehci-hcd is
> > able to work around such violations while xhci-hcd isn't.
> >
> >> Still looking at drivers/usb/gadget/udc/atmel_usba_udc.c which
> >> has lots of changes between lk 3.19.0-rc4 and 4.0.0-rc4 . The
> >> maxpacket value seems (to me) to be related to the fifo-size
> >> in the gadget section of this dts include file:
> >>     arch/arm/boot/dts/at91sam9x5.dtsi
> >> which has 1024 for ep1 through ep5 and 64 for ep0.
> >
> > The assignment of endpoints isn't done in the UDC driver; it is carried
> > out by epautoconf.c in drivers/usb/gadget/.  So you may need to expand
> > your bisection search beyond the single UDC driver source file.
> >
> > Have you tried enabling debugging in the gadget drivers and checking
> > out the kernel log on the gadget?
> >
> >> So it looks like 1.5 bugs:
> >>     - one in atmel's udc driver for the at91sam9x5 family, and
> >>     - the inconsistency between the ehci driver working around
> >>       invalid maxpacket values and the xhci driver behaving
> >>       badly (lots of bus resets and a badly made SCSI storage
> >>       device [e.g. INQUIRY works but READ(10) fails]).
> >
> > The first is clearly a bug, although at the moment we can't be sure
> > where.  The second is an unavoidable hardware restriction, not a bug.
> > Anyway, if you fix the first problem then the second won't be an issue.
>
> Found the udc driver bug. A shadow register value was introduced
> around lk 4.0 for the Atmel 9x5/sama5d3 UDPHS driver
> (atmel_usba_udc.c) for the interrupt status register. It used the
> interrupt enable register (last written) value as a mask. At least
> for the at91sam9g25 that works apart from the SPEED bit (bit 0)
> which is only present in the interrupt status register.
>
> It seems that USB negotiates the link speed during resets and at
> the G25 end, even though the hardware had negotiated a "high
> speed" link with the host, the logic in usba_udc_irq() deduced it
> was only a full speed link (due to the above bug). Thereafter
> there was confusion which the ehci_hcd host driver could handle
> but the xhci_pci driver could not. In the xhci_pci case there
> were multiple high speed link resets in the host log, matched
> at the device (G25) end with a similar number of reported _full_
> speed resets.
>
> The author of the changes to the code that caused this is
> cc-ed on this post. He might like to consider the attached
> patch which fixed my problem. However the shadow mask register
> technique might have other subtle issues that I'm not

Looks good to me, and sorry for the inconvenience.

> If I don't hear anything on this issue then I can produce
> a patch. Does it go through the ARM or USB (or both) trees?

You can go ahead and send a patch to the ARM and USB MLs (+
appropriate maintainers), unless you want me to do it.

> If my patch is sufficient, then perhaps it should also be
> issued against the lk 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 kernels that are
> still actively maintained.

Yep, adding the following line after your SoB should do the trick:

Cc: <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> #4.0+

Thanks,

Boris

--