Re: request to add information for USB 3G dongle

Rolf Leggewie <foss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 23.09.2015 16:20, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Rolf Leggewie <foss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I found the following in my syslog.
>>>
>>> Aug  2 22:16:01 localhost usb_modeswitch[7313]: usb_modeswitch: switched
>>> to 19d2:0063 on 2/18
>>> Aug  2 22:16:02 localhost usb_modeswitch[7313]: usb_modeswitch: add
>>> device ID 19d2:0063 to driver option
>>> Aug  2 22:16:02 localhost usb_modeswitch[7313]: usb_modeswitch: please
>>> report the device ID to the Linux USB developers!
>>>
>>> This is a fairly old Vodafone-branded ZTE 3G dongle.  Feel free to ask
>>> me more information, I'll be happy to provide.  For what it's worth, the
>>> dongle seems to work just fine.
>>>
>>> $ lsusb -d 19d2:0063
>>> Bus 002 Device 018: ID 19d2:0063 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM K3565-Z HSDPA
>>
>> That's odd.  Wonder why usb_modeswitch believes this is necessary?
>>
>> That device ID was added to the option driver with commit c420befde6b2
>> ("USB: option: add ZTE device ids and remove ONDA ids") in Linux v2.6.32.
>>

>> Bjørn
>

> Hello Bjørn,
>
> thank you for your comment.  What are we going to to do now?  I
> certainly know the answer to your question much less than you guys on
> this list.

I don't really know.  This is the second time lately that unncessary
"add device to driver" action from usb_modeswitch has come up. It
wouldn't have been so much of a problem if it weren't for the fact that
this hides the QMI function from the qmi_wwan driver.  I wish
usb_modeswitch would stop doing that.  But it is a very good thing that
it request reports here.

May I ask what distro you are using?  In the other case, the distro
failing was manjaro 15.09. Older or otherwise incomplete usb_modeswitch
data can cause such problems.  You should verify that you are using the
latest and greatest usb_modeswitch database (although as I said, this is
a device we've known about for a very long time)

If the problem is with usb_modeswitch in general, then I can only refer
you to the http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/ forums. Unless
Josh is noticing this email thread and replying here...

There isn't really anything we can do on the driver/kernel side.  The
device is already known to the drivers supporting it.  Adding it again
won't help :)

Bjørn