Re: mass storage behaviour

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:26:08AM -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> > Why is Windows so much faster?  Or to put it another way, why is Linux
> > slow?  How can we improve things?
>
> I don't know. We were doing our performance demos using Windows, so we
> never looked into why Linux was slower. But I do know the Microsoft
> engineers put some effort into tuning their stack for good performance
> at USB 3.0 speeds. I don't think anyone has done that for Linux yet.

I don't believe that, it sounds like a marketing thing :)

Be aware of your mount options when mounting a device on Linux, some
distros default to more "safe" options that are slower due to flushing
data to the disk, it's easy to look faster if all of your data is still
in caches before being sent to the device.

greg k-h