Re: xHCI reports “ERROR Unknown event condition 20, HC probably busted”

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 02:01:51PM +0300, Mathias Nyman wrote:
> Now this suddenly makes more sense to me.
>
> Initial problem is very much related to U1 and U2 power saving states.
> Either the device can't handle these states or then we set the max exit latency values incorrectly.

There's certainly _some_ problem with U1/U2. Like I previously noted,
frequently during initial setup Linux will try to set U1/U2, get an error
and then disconnect the entire device.

Windows 10 has no problems driving the device, and as far as I understand,
it should also do USB3 power saving, but there might be subtle differences.
In particular, when doing pcap dumps from Windows, I don't see attempts to
set these low-power modes during setup (although I have no idea how accurate
the dumps are; they might be missing the SET SEL packets entirely).

It would be nice if I could somehow blacklist the device from going into
U1/U2 without compiling with CONFIG_PM=n.

> So there are two parts, the actual cause of the original error, the "event
> condition 20", which I still don't know what is causing it, and the second
> part,  the driver fails to handle this error case properly.  The second
> part I can fix.

Well, it's great progress. :-)

/* Steinar */
--