Re: qcserial: AT unsolicited response codes missing with Dell Wireless 5808e

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 04:28:33PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> David Ward <david.ward@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > An earlier e-mail from Reinhard contained a patch that did this for the
> > MC7304. That patch could be modified as shown below so that the control
> > request is enabled or disabled from qcprobe() instead. This way, it is
> > straightforward to enable it for specific interface(s) on a particular
> > device layout (here, it is only enabled on the AT port in the Sierra
> > Wireless layout). I tested this with the Dell Wireless 5808e and it was
> > able to connect to the mobile network as usual and also send AT URCs.
>
> I think this is a good idea.
>
> But I believe it would be nicer to consolidate the send_setup handling
> for all usb-wwan based drivers instead of making multiple copies of it.
> The code here seems to be modelled after the current option
> implementation.  But there isn't really much driver-specific stuff in
> that at all.  The only thing is the option_private/qcserial_private
> thingy, which I don't understand the need for...
>
> Johan, apologies for not commenting on this when you added it, but I
> fail to understand why you added the option_private struct in commit
> e463c6dda8f5 ("USB: option: handle send_setup blacklisting at probe")
> Care to explain?
>
> Moving the blacklisting logic from send_setup to probe made sense, but
> the ifNum change seems completely unrelated (and unnecessary?):

You're right, it's not necessary. I think I may have wanted to show how
to pass usb-wwan-subdriver private data to send_setup as it was
submitted together with some patches cleaning that up.

> If we go back to using
> serial->interface->cur_altsetting->desc.bInterfaceNumber for the control
> message instead of priv->bInterfaceNumber, then we can completely drop
> 'struct option_private' and make option_send_setup() into a generic
> usb_wwan_send_setup() for use in both option and qcserial.

Sounds like a good idea. Looks like you can just replace the callback
pointer with a send_setup flag in usb_wwan_intf_private too.

Thanks,
Johan