Re: xhci woes continued

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> On Freitag, 11. September 2015 10:23:45 Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > >
> > > I still have trouble with storage devices on xhci ports, that disappear as
> > > soon as I change to an ehci port.
> > >
> > > My current kernel version is 4.1.6.
> > > Device is a Transcend TS-RDF8K USB3.0 sdcard reader, tested directly on
> > > rear panel I/O USB3.0 port of a z97 series MB (ASUS Z97-A) with the
> > > original cable, and a SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC media.
> > >

> > Can you post a usbmon trace showing what happens when the card reader
> > is plugged in?  Instructions are in the kernel source file
> > Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
>
> With pleasure, Alan.
>
> Here we go, plugged the reader for about 20 secs, result attached.

The usbmon trace clearly shows the problem: The card reader's firmware
doesn't handle transfers larger than 64 KB properly.  (That's a bit of
a guess on my part; what the trace really shows is that transfers of
length 120 KB and 72 KB failed whereas lengths 28 KB and below worked.)

Anyway, you can supply a quirks parameter for the usb-storage module to
force all transfers to be short:

	modprobe usb-storage quirks=8564:4000:m

(That's the vendor and product IDs of your card reader, together with a
flag to limit the Max number of sectors per transfer.)  Does that fix
the problem?

Alan Stern