Re: Huawei E3131

On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 23:17 +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Hi Bjorn,
>     my have a new USB 3G modem sold in Czech Republic by T-Mobile. So far it works for me only using the option driver and pppd. The 'qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm0' does not work for me. Maybe it has no QMI interface ('modprobe qmi_wwan' does not log any new device found through dmesg but maybe that is because it is already claimed by cdc_ncm driver)? I haven't seen the virtual CD-ROM associated media errors with my old Huawei E372. I believe I can ignore them but is that because of the modem firmware being ... suboptimal? BTW, usb_modeswitch used to log that it flipped a device. Isn't this needed anymore?

I doubt this one will work with QMI for a couple reasons; first that the
3xxx series are HiLink and usually don't use Qualcomm chipsets.  But
second, I think all Huawei modems that expose an NCM interface are
HiLink too.  So basically, you've got a HiLink and it's only usable with
AT commands for control, over which you send some Huawei-proprietary AT
commands like NDISDUP and then you can use another command to get the IP
address details you can apply to the NCM interface.  Sometimes DHCP on
the NCM interface can also works after setting up the packet data
connection via the AT interface.

So in summary, if this is indeed a HiLink device you should have one or
more AT serial ports driven by option, and one cdc-ncm ethernet
interface.

Dan