Re: option driver crashes on modem removal

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > No. ESHUTDOWN is reserved for the removal of the HC.
> >
> > Then I have to ask: Why do I see ESHUTDOWN when I pull the modem from
> > one of my ehci-pci ports?
>
> That error code might come from something other than an URB status
> value.  The ehci-hcd driver uses ESHUTDOWN only when the EHCI hardware
> itself is inaccessible -- either because the controller is suspended
> (D3) or because the driver is unbinding.

I almost forgot; there is one other place where ESHUTDOWN occurs.  The
USB core somewhat inconsistently uses that code when it cancels all the
outstanding URBs on an endpoint.  This happens when the endpoint is
going away, typically because the device has been unplugged but
possibly also as a result of a driver unbind or a configuration or
altsetting change.

Alan Stern