Re: [ANNOUNCE] tree closed for v4.3 merge window

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Felipe Balbi <balbi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 02:30:45PM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Felipe Balbi <balbi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > if your patches aren't in my tree yet, it's too late, sorry.
>> >
>> > We have a total of 145 non-merge commits, here's dirstat:
>> >
>> > $ git diff --dirstat next ^cbfe8fa6cd67 | sort -rn
>> >   21.0% drivers/usb/gadget/udc/
>> >   19.9% drivers/usb/musb/
>> >   12.9% drivers/usb/phy/
>> >   11.7% drivers/usb/gadget/legacy/
>> >    7.8% drivers/usb/gadget/
>> >    6.1% drivers/usb/gadget/function/
>> >    5.7% drivers/usb/dwc3/
>> >    5.0% include/linux/usb/
>> >    4.0% drivers/usb/
>> >    3.1% Documentation/devicetree/bindings/usb/
>> >
>> > My tree will soak a bit on linux-next to catch any further build
>> > regressions (I couldn't find anything missing after the recent 4 patches
>> > I sent) and next week a pull request will be sent to Greg.
>> >
>> > Please, avoid sending patches until v4.3-rc1 is tagged as that goes a
>> > long way towards keeping my sanity ;-)
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand.  What about discussion of USB patches for
>> the next release?
>> Can we send RFC patches amongst ourselves to the linux-usb list?
>
> nobody can prevent you from sending, it's just that for the most part, I
> won't look as frequently at patches ;-)

OK. Thanks.

BTW - I do find these types of "here's when to send for better
results" messages helpful.  That is, if there are indeed better times
to send patches, it's good to know about them.  Of course it would be
even nicer if patches could be accepted any time and queued, but we
live in the real world and I realize that maintainers time is finite.
:-)

 -- Tim Bird
Senior Software Engineer, Sony Mobile
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup, Linux Foundation