self-modeswitching device

Hi,

I am looking at a device that spontaneously switches
its mode. I guess that you need to actively do something
that some Windows versions do to keep the device in its
initial mode.
The device contains an SD card reader. That leaves me in
a predicament. The medium if it is mounted before the
device switches will be dirty.

Normally we say that unmounting before you switch
is a responsibility of user space. But this device
switches by itself.
In that particular case I would go as far as make
the storage driver refuse the storage interface
of the initial mode.

What do you think?

	Regards
		Oliver