Re: UAS problem

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, James wrote:

> On 06/09/15 10:13, Alan Stern wrote:
> >
> > \Good grief, don't use wireshark!  It captures every single byte of
> > data transferred, which is enormously more than what we need.
> >
> > Instead, follow the instructions in Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> That was easier than wireshark.
>
> The usbmon trace is:
>
> http://lockie.ca/1.mon.out

The trace shows numerous -71 errors.  These are low-level
communication errors, caused by noise in the USB cable or something of
that sort.  In each case the system recovered and retried the failed
command successfully.

It's hard to say exactly what is causing all those errors.  It could be
a bad cable, or a bad connection, or a borderline component in the
computer or the drive.  It could even be caused by electromagnetic
interference, such as a faulty fluorescent light fixture nearby.

Alan Stern