Re: SuperSpeed usb-storage, yet runs at 5Mbyte/sec

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015, Mark Hills wrote:

> I have a new USB 3.0 hard drive which appears to be throttled at
> approx 5Mbyte/sec.
>
> Is there a mystery kernel option that is required to enable full
> performance on these new drives?
>
> I have tried changing following:
>
> * Switching onboard USB 2.0 interfaces for a completely new USB 3.0
>   interface (xhci_pci)
>
> * Enabling and disabling the "USB attached SCSI" CONFIG_USB_UAS
>
> But drive performance stays limited at 5Mbyte/sec.
>
> I've settled on using the USB 3.0 interface, and the dmesg (below) reports
> "SuperSpeed" and looks ok.
>
> - The system is kernel 4.0.4 i686, on an HP xw6600
> - Drive is a "Seagate Backup Plus for Mac"
>
> The drive does work on a separate Linux system -- 145Mbyte/sec (albeit
> only intermittently detecting the drive). That rules out any bad disk
> format or block alignment. In this case it is a Thinkpad X230, Slackware
> kernel 3.14.23, x86_64.
>
> I've compared kernel configs and nothing obvious has caught my attention
> in the USB/storage options.
>
> Unfortunately these are quite different systems that prevent me testing an
> identical kernel.
>
> Is anyone aware of what kernel difference this might be, or could it even
> be a bug on 32-bit systems?

By any chance, do you mount the filesystem with the "-o sync" option?
That will slow things _way_ down.

If that's not the answer, try acquiring usbmon traces on the fast and
slow systems for comparison (see the instructions in
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.).

Alan Stern