Re: USB Host Controller no PCD interrupt and CCS and CSC update on the device disconnect

On Tue, 26 May 2015, Rong Wang wrote:

> > It seems that your customer wants to change the hardware, not the
> > software.
>
> Yes. We plan to do a hardware modification. But we want to make as little
> change as possible. So we plan to make the internal signal HostDisconnect
> , which is sent from PHY to indicate a disconnection event, configurable
> by software.
> We'll mask this signal at first, once the software determines that there's a
> disconnection event, we unmask this signal to notify the USB controller.
> The advantage of this implementation is that the disconnection indication
> signal will not go to USB controller directlly, thus no internal clean up work
> will be done, which will make software recovery possible.
> The disadvantage is that since there's no disconnection indication signal,
> there's no PCD interrupt and no CCS and CSC update avalable. It's totally
> determined by software.
> We don't konw whether this implementation can handle all the corner cases.

Clearly it can't.  For example, an unplug would not generate a wakeup
event.  But maybe you can make it work well enough for your needs.

> BTW, how's the USB Device Controller (HS/FS) detetct the disconnection?
> Does it detect the disconnection by a SE0 line status or by VBUS status?

SE0 line status indicates reset, not disconnect.  USB devices detect
disconnection by monitoring VBus.

Alan Stern