High CPU usage when video streaming on EHCI, 3.17.8 kernel with DMA enabled

Hi,

I posted this on linux-uvc-devel, but was told the data transfer part
is handled by the USB driver.

I am running 3.17.8 kernel with DMA enabled on TI DM3730 (Gumstix
Overo Firestorm-P COM). When streaming video frames in mmap or userptr
mode, I am
seeing very high CPU usage, up to 70%. This CPU usage is reported to
be in software interrupts. The captured frames are NOT corrupted.

Interestingly, when running 3.5 kernel, with DMA enabled as well, the
CPU usage is 30% and it is reported to be mostly in the user space.
So, it guess it suggests PIO not DMA is actually used here.

Neither of these results are satisfactory, I hoped DMA would take care
of the data transfer and the CPU resources would be available to run
data processing.

I used the video capture example from the V4L2 API documentation. This
behavior was tested and observed for two different cameras, one of
them working in isochronous mode, the other working in bulk mode.

Interrupts showing activity during the streaming are:
omap-dma-engine,
ehci_hcd:usb1.

I also ran another test with very low resolution and fps
settings, 160x90 5ps YUV422. In that case, on 3.5 kernel, CPU usage was
very low. However, on 3.17.8 kernel, it was still similar as before,
around 60% and all in software interrupts; it was dropping to zero
intermittently this time.

Perhaps, the problem is somewhere in the interaction between the UVC
driver and the DMA or USB driver. As far as I understand, the UVC
driver uses vmalloc(), which, again AFAIU, is not ideal for DMA
transfers. Is this known to work on other similar platforms?

I am aware this is a somewhat vague
description unfortunately, but I am not sure what other detail would
be helpful. UVC debugging messages do not show anything unusual.
Beyond that, debugging these drivers on my own exceeds my expertise,
so I will welcome any suggestions.

There is also the following error message from EDMA, I do not think it
is related though.
[    0.557342] edma-dma-engine edma-dma-engine.0: Can't allocate PaRAM
dummy slot
[    0.557434] edma-dma-engine: probe of edma-dma-engine.0 failed with error -22

Thanks,

Tom