Re: Synopsys IPs: USB 3.1 Device & Host and USB 2.0 OTG

Hi Greg,

On 4/27/2015 3:27 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 09:59:19AM +0100, Joao Pinto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Joao Pinto and I am working at Synopsys as a Software Engineer mainly
>> in the USB Subsystem.
>>
>> I am sending you this email in order to know if someone is already working in
>> the driver' development for Synopsys' USB 3.1 Host & Device and USB 2.0 OTG
>> Controllers.
>
> Have you looked at the latest kernel tree to verify what is and is not
> supported?  That's your best source of information.

I checked the USB Mailing List archive and the USB Git trees in order to find
any reference of these drivers but nothing was found, so I would conclude that
nothing was submitted about these 2 subjects.

>> a) If no one is working, we have interest to start developing them
>
> Don't you already have internal code for these chips?  Have you tested
> Linux with them?

As you know internal code is not always suitable for kernel submission and so
sometimes it is better to upgrade a std kernel driver like dwc3 (USB 3.0 Device)
in order to make it support 3.1 as well.

>> b) If there is someone already developing them, we have interest in
>> collaborating with the on going work
>
> Look at the changelog entries for the drivers for these chips, that
> should give you the information you need here.

I have checked the USB tree' logs as I said previously and nothing relevant was
found.

> But really, running the latest kernel and seeing what doesn't work for
> your hardware, and sending patches to fix this is the best way forward,
> don't you agree?

I agree with you if we are dealing with small improvements or bug fixes, but in
this case we are dealing with new drivers or important updates on existing ones.
One of the good practices I read about kernel development is to ask first if
someone is already working in a particular subject to avoid work duplication and
that's what I am doing in this email.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks,