Re: [BUG] xhci_hcd: no USB3 SuperSpeed on IvyBridge Macbook

On 23 April 2015 at 21:59, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:50:14PM +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
>> Hardware: IvyBridge Macbook (Panther Point PCH), 2 external USB3 ports
>> Verified in kernels: 4.0.0+ (1fc1499), Debian 3.16.4
>>
>> All USB3 devices appear as USB2 high-speed (480mbps) rather than USB3
>> super-speed (5000mbps).
>
> Are you sure you actually have a device that runs at that speed?  A USB
> 3 device can run at "low speed" and still be USB 3 compliant (backwards
> compatibility issues ensure this.)

Sorry, stupid mistake, please ignore bug report... I used some tiny
USB extension cables to save plugging directly in to the laptop and
did not realise that they cause the port to downgrade to USB2 (I had
thought a device would still appear on the USB3 bus in this case, just
with slower speed). It might be an idea to log a warning when a
SuperSpeed capable device is connected to a USB2 port/bus like this.
All the USB3 devices are now connected to bus2 with speed 5000M. There
is still another error initialising the VIA USB hub which I will
investigate and report later.