Re: Polling a usbfs file descriptor.

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, Dave Mielke wrote:

> It seems (from inspecting libusb) that poll()ing a usbfs file descriptor for
> output can be used to determine when a urb can be reaped. A user has sent me a
> patch to our code that does this, and it actually does seem to work. So far, I
> haven't found any documentation on this.
>
> Is it okay for us to use this capability?

Yes, it's okay.  A userspace ABI like that isn't going to go away.
It's also true that you can poll for POLLERR or POLLHUP to see when a
device has been disconnected, although libusb probably isn't interested
in doing that.

> Can anyone point me to documentation that formally describes how it works?

As far as I can see, there isn't any documentation for usbfs at all
apart from Documentation/usb/proc_usb_info.txt, which is woefully out
of date.

Alan Stern