Re: Unable to access USB mass storage device with xhci. okay with ehci

On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 14:37 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Does this happen with both the uas and usb-storage drivers or only with
> > > one of them?
> >
> > Both of them, i have a unpacked kernel on the drive and would do a copy
> > and paste into another directory of the same drive, transfer speeds of
> > 50 MB/sec are good through about half way through the transfer event
> > then a hang occurs from this point on transfer speeds drop to 20MB/sec
> > and then slowly ramp down to less than 5MB/sec at the end of the file
> > transfer. this is with both uas and usb-storage.
>
> If there is a hang then no more data is getting transferred.  Of course
> the average transfer speed will slowly decay to 0.

Okay, i _should_ have said transfer speeds are a steady 50mb/sec till
about the half way point or slightly after, then a hang, then a restart
of file transfer but at 20mb/sec with gradual decline of transfer speed,
at/near the end of file transfer, speeds were less that 5mb/sec.

> > I have some traces, there very large and the mailing list filter will
> > reject them. so i will send them directly.
>
> The uas trace doesn't show a hang.  It just shows a bunch of normal
> transfers.

Interesting

> The usb-storage trace might show a hang, right at the end.  The
> computer tried to read 13 sectors from the disk, and there was no
> response.  But since this was at the end of the trace, it could simply
> be that you stopped the trace before the response arrived.

I started the trace about 1/3 of the way through the file transfer (to
reduce trace size) and i ended the trace after file transfer completed.

> Maybe the drive isn't causing this slowdown.  Some other part of the
> system could be responsible.

Most likely xhci

Thanks for you time.

Steve