Re: Question: drivers/usb/serial/generic.c: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback()

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, Johan Hovold wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 05:29:16PM +0000, Mark Enstone wrote:
> > Everyone, thank you for your attention and suggestions.
> >
> > Johan, perfect, thank you, that did indeed help and has fixed the
> > issue I was seeing.
> >
> > The change replaced dev_err() with dev_dbg() -- thus not logging (by
> > default) what was a very noisy flood of messages. Does that simply
> > change timing enough such that the USB HCD has time to process the
> > disconnect? Or is there something else going on that I'm missing?
>
> I'm afraid it's only working around the real issue, though.
>
> In my setup, adding a really short udelay (e.g. 100 us) rather than the
> printk is also enough to trigger the lock up when using just two bulk-in
> urbs.
>
> I thought it was the hub-driver work queue that was starved, but in my
> current setup I don't even get a completion callback for the external
> hub port-status change.

Is that the hub driver's interrupt URB?  Or do you mean a control URB
requesting the port status?

> Same issue with two HS hubs of the same type.
>
> Switching to a different hub appears to make the problem go away. But so
> does using the same hub with a different HC (ehci-omap). So can't rule
> out musb (and dwc2 on RPi?).
>
> I'll try to find some more time to look into this later.
>
> Alan, what are your thoughts on this?
>
> My setup is
>
> 	Beaglebone Black musb -> HS hub -> FS device

It's awfully hard to pin down the cause of a problem when changing
either of two components makes the problem go away.

In this case, I'd start with a bus analyzer.  Does the URB in question
get transmitted?  Does the hub send back a reply?  This will at least
help pin down whether the problem starts in the host controller or in
the hub.

I still find it odd that the problem occurs only when the _last_ device
is unplugged from the hub.

Alan Stern