Re: Unable to access USB mass storage device with xhci. okay with ehci

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, Hans de Goede wrote:

> > uas.c was patched (see attached), the quirk line was temporarily removed
>
> Thanks for testing this.
>
> > and i now have access to the drive using xhci and uas. usbmon trace is
> > attached.
>
> What exactly do you mean with "i now have access to the drive using xhci and uas" ?
> Do you mean that everything works correctly with xhci + uas when setting
> .max_sectors = 240 ?

Yes, that's what Steve meant.  Without the .max_sectors = 240
restriction, the device froze up when the kernel tried to perform a
transfer that was too large (around 190 KB).

> Alan, any ideas on how to move forward with this, I do not want to limit all
> uas devices to .max_sectors = 240, I can whip up a patch to set max_sectors = 240
> on the ASM1053 but not the ASM1153.

Some sort of quirk definitely seems like the right thing to do.  Given
the peculiarities of this device family, the quirk probably has to be
implemented in code (as opposed to a static table à la
unusual_devs.h).

Still, I can imagine the uas-detect.h code setting the
US_FL_MAX_SECTORS_64 flags bit and then the uas driver calling
blk_queue_max_hw_sectors() the way we do in
scsiglue.c:slave_configure().

Alan Stern