USB devices cannot be be allocated / assigned slot (xhci_hcd)

The following error comes up frequently and some USB device fail to
show up after boot:

xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Error while assigning device slot ID
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Max number of devices this xHCI host supports is 32.
usb usb1-port13: couldn't allocate usb_device

It happens randomly among boots. You can see from the attached
journalctl output that it does not always happen and when it does, it
could happen to different devices.

It's not limited to USB3 devices but also my usb 2.0 receivers (which
also run under the module xhci_hcd), though the usb 3 devices have
higher chance to fail.

My motherboard is ASUS H87-PRO, if it matters. I have basically the
same (number of) devices plugged in all the time and no external hub
is being used. lspci and lsusb output is also attached.