Re: External USB3 HDD: logical sector size incorrectly detected on first connect

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Marc Joliet wrote:

> > Like Matt suggested, the most reasonable possibility is an interaction
> > with the BIOS.
>
> Like I said in my replay to Matt, the BIOS doesn't support booting via USB.  The

If it supports a USB keyboard, it might still go through and initialize
all the USB devices.

> only thing I was able to try was to deactivate CD boot, which didn't change
> anything (except make boot faster, which is a nice side-effect, since I
> only very rarely boot from CD).
>
> I tried hooking it up to a borrowed laptop I have here (that only has USB 2
> ports) to see how it behaves at boot.  The BIOS was set to boot form its
> internal drive (followed by USB, but that would only trigger if the internal
> drive were missing, so it shouldn't have any influence, right?

Impossible to tell.  A BIOS can do anything it wants, whether it makes
sense or not.  You'd have to monitor the USB bus to see what packets
were actually exchanged.

To find out what the USB adapter is really doing, the best approach is
to ask the manufacturer -- since nobody else knows.  The odds of
getting a useful reply are not high, unfortunately.

Alan Stern