Re: External USB3 HDD: logical sector size incorrectly detected on first connect

Am Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:34:59 +0100
schrieb Marc Joliet <marcec@xxxxxx>:

[...]
> Am Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:45:07 +0100
> schrieb Marc Joliet <marcec@xxxxxx>:
>
> > Am Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
> > schrieb Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > [...]
> > > It does not sound like a driver problem.
> > >
> > > Please capture a couple of usbmon traces showing what happens during a
> > > connect when the wrong sector size is detected and a connect when the
> > > right sector size is detected.  You can post the traces here (if there
> > > is a lot of repetitious stuff after the beginning, you can trim it out)
> > > or post them somewhere for people to see.
> >
> > I'm still in the process of doing this, it turns out it's not so easy:
> >
> > - If I try to run usbmon as early as possible (as a systemd unit, but maybe
> >   there's a better way?) to catch the drive when the wrong sector size is
> >   detected, I have a lot of stuff to trim from the logs, such as keyboard input
> >   and mouse movement (which I'm doing now).  Do the logs give information about
> >   which keys are pressed?
>
> Looks like I can answer my own question: yes, at least each key is easily
> differentiated by what is IIUC its data stream.
[...]

I think I've got this done.  I removed messages from bus 1 and 2, which contain
my mouse and keyboard.  Without trying to trim duplicate messages, the resulting
log is 3937 lines long and 324K large.  Everything up to line 1229 is from the
initial connect, the rest from the reconnect.  I left some kernel messages in
there for context. Trimmings are marked with "[...]".

Is that manageable enough, or should I trim it further before sending?  Also,
should I send it compressed, or in plain-text?

Greetings
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup