Re: keyboard/trackpad combo unusable on MacBookPro4,1 with bcm5974.ko

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015, Christian Böhme wrote:

> Alan Stern <stern@...> writes:
>
> > I came back to this old email today, and it turns out that
> > usbhid_probe() already includes the following lines:
> >
> > 	if (intf->cur_altsetting->desc.bInterfaceProtocol ==
> > 			USB_INTERFACE_PROTOCOL_MOUSE)
> > 		hid->type = HID_TYPE_USBMOUSE;
> >
> > This happens before hid_add_device() is called, so it should already be
> > in effect when hid_ignore() runs.
>
> Well, if that is indeed the case, this leaves the only other reason for
> failure of the original test in hid_match_id() returning NULL.
>
> Given that hid_mouse_ignore_list[] actually contains the proper
> (USB_VENDOR_ID_APPLE, USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_WELLSPRING2_ISO) pair
> as far as I can make out and assuming a properly working compiler,
> hid_match_one_id() returns FALSE only if the hdev's members in question
> are not properly set up. And I wouldn't know where to look for /that/.

You ought to be able to figure out what's going on by adding a few
debugging statements in suitable places.

> On a side note, I'm a little surprised that the arguments to hid_ignore(),
> hid_match_id(), and hid_match_one_id() are not const-qualified, although none
> of their members are actually mutated there …

That sort of thing happens all the time.  People don't remember to add
const qualifications because it's not obvious when they _could_ be
added, the compiler doesn't complain about it, and it doesn't make much
difference anyway.

Alan Stern