Re: usbserial option driver newid

On 03/04/15 12:34, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 12:14:01PM -0500, Rick Farina wrote:
>> Recently the Huawei e3276 devices my company was buying came with a new
>> firmware version and the word "hilink" printed all over them.  Instead
>> of showing up as a usbserial device using the option driver, they show
>> up now as an ethernet device.  While I can see the convenience factor in
>> this, it doesn't serve our purpose, so some quick googling showed me I
>> can enable the serial again with usb_modeswitch and this line:
>>
>> 55534243123456780000000000000011062000000000000200000000000000
>>
>> When I do this, the usbid changes to 12d1:1566 and using the option
>> driver works properly with the device.  The problem I have, is that we
>> are currently using kernel 3.18 and it doesn't have that usbid for my
>> device.  Things work properly when I run this:
>>
>> echo "12d1 1566" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
>>
>> My problem is, I was hoping to find a better way to handle this than
>> having to run a script to do this at boot.  I tried adding the vendor
>> and product to usbserial using /etc/modprobe.d, however, this causes it
>> to use the usbserial generic module instead of the option module and
>> doesn't work.
>
> No, use the option driver.
>
>> Can anyone assist me in finding a proper solution instead of echoing to
>> new_id on boot?
>
> Make a patch to the driver, as you mention below :)
>
>> Additionally, it would be nice to officially add this id to the option
>> driver, it looks like it's not present at this time:
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb.git/tree/drivers/usb/serial/option.c
>>
>> I can submit a patch to add it if desired, but right now it would be
>> super helpful if I can make this work without a kernel patch.
>
> A patch would be great, that way you get the fix for all future
> releases, and we can backport it to all stable kernel releases.

I'm happy to do this, but a fix for systems without upgraded kernels
would be helpful.

Currently I can hack at it through the modprobe.d install command, or a
udev rule.  If anyone else has a good idea I'd love to hear it,
otherwise once I get it working I'll submit a patch so others don't need
such ugly hacks.

Thanks,
Zero