Re: xhci

On 09/12/14 15:26, Mathias Nyman wrote:
Hi

On 09/11/2014 05:18 PM, Jay Larson wrote:
Mathias,

I was not able to locate an official method of inquiring about issues with xhci,
so I'm writing directly to you. If this is not the appropriate method please
accept my apologies and kindly direct me to the proper place.

Me, including the linux usb mailing list (added to cc), is the right combination to ask
questions regarding xhci.

We have had a failure for which I have been asked to provide an explanation. A
process that was accessing a USB 3.0 disk unexpectedly failed (Killed). We have
had other issues where users have had to reboot to restore USB connectivity
(possibly just reloading the module would have had the same effect). I can only
surmise that there is either a problem with the hardware, or xhci. I am in
particular curious if we could expect any significant benefits to using a more
recent kernel.

You should definitely use a more recent kernel, there are tons of changes since 2.6.32,
and It's impossible for me to support old kernels.

[uname -a]
Linux kdmlinux3 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:19:21 UTC 2012 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[lcpci -vv]
04:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev

Hi,

I thought I'd drop you guys a message about the "USB 3.0 NEC uPD720200" hoping that some hardware guys are hanging around on this list.

After we added 64-bit support to the XHCI driver in FreeBSD we've had several identical reports, that the "USB 3.0 NEC uPD720200" is refusing to work correctly. Timeout errors start happening exactly after the first data transfer to/from a DMA address above 4GBytes. Is this a known issue?

Until further we've added a quirk to mask away the 64-bit capability of the XHCI controller:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/279563

We currently don't believe this is a XHCI driver problem in FreeBSD, hence other XHCI controllers work just fine.

--HPS