Request for comments

Hello,

I am sending this email in order to get some feedback from you about a feature that I am planning to do in a driver I am working on.
This new feature basically is to turn the relationship between driver and hardware IP more transparent, making the software more robust.
Let me explain the idea:

a) The hardware has the capability of supplying to the driver the IP version and crucial features that it support or not
b) The driver would read the hardware capability features and work without hick-ups even if the developer has configured him (e.g. menuconfig during build process) to do some specific thing that is not supported by the current connected hardware
c) If the driver is configured to do something that the connected hardware is not capable of doing, it simply logs a message to kernel log and automatically disables it trying to work has fluid as possible
d) If the hardware does not have the capability of supplying information of this type to the driver, than it should work according to the configuration

In your opinion this feature would be a value-added to a new driver / existent driver?
Thank you for your time!

Best regards
Joao
---