RE: USB driver support for high current charging

I have had a look into the spec (USB PD), but it does not explicitly explain whether the negotiation is done in hardware (by dedicated charger chips) or driver software (which then assigns higher allowed current to the ports).

We are planning for new devices to be designed, where we want to support charging smartphones etc. and we want to know if there has to be done something for this in the USB drivers, and from which kernel on the PD will be supported.
Actually it seems that the negotiation is a job for the charger chips and they signal their state via GPIOs to CPU/SoC.

However, I think that the USB team should have an eye on the USB PD spec. and keep it in mind.

Thanks,
Carsten

XS Embedded GmbH
Peterzeller Straße 8
D-78048 Villingen - Schwenningen
Telefon
+49 (7721) 4060 - 442
Fax
+49 (7721) 4060 - 499

www.xse.de
carsten_schmid@xxxxxxxxxx

:::::::::: based.on.visions ::::::::::

XS Embedded GmbH
Geschäftsführung: Dean Freed, Walter Vermijs, Shannon Wetzel

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Freiburg i.Br., HRB 705237
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Peterzeller Straße 8, 78048 Villingen-Schwenningen
USt-Id Nummer: DE268786819
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.