Re: dwc3/xHCI max connection limit

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Bin Liu wrote:
>
>> Felipe,

> Can't set config means the device was enumerated.  So there were enough
> device slots; the problem was some other sort of resource.

> Probably the resource is connected with scheduling of periodic
> transfers (interrupt and isochronous).

>> > no, you're hitting the limit alright :-) You said it dies after the 32nd
>> > device right ? I think each device is taking up 2 slots.
>>
>> I am still reading, I thought each device takes one slot. Also MSC
>> device still got enumerated after keyboard failed, that is why I don't
>> think this is slot limitation problem.
>>
>> The failure point varies in my test, sometimes it failed at 32nd,
>> sometimes at 28th.
>>

>> > Just a guess, probably worth counting how many slots are used by each
>> > device.
>>
>> Trying to figure out where to patch the driver...
>>
>> The error message means ep configuration failed, trying to understand
>> what ep means in xhci, I don't it is the same as that in musb... The
>> SoC datasheet says the dwc3 has 15-in + 15-out eps, plus ep0.
>
> The problem probably isn't the number of endpoints, but rather the
> scheduling entries for interrupt and isochronous endpoints.

-12 return code in the log is due to COMP_ENOMEM (7, in Table 135 in
xHCI Specs) returned by the completion of configure endpoint command.
All in xhci_configure_endpoint() in xhci.c.

Then in xHCI Specs Section 4.6.6 Configure Endpoint, and Section
4.14.1.1 System Bus Bandwidth Scheduling, I got a feeling it is indeed
due to periodic scheduling, after certain amount of interrupt
(applicable to ISO as while) endpoints have been scheduled, there does
not have enough bus bandwidth left for new interrupt scheduling any
more.

I am new to xhci, any comments for my suspicion?

Thanks,
-Bin.