Re: Control message failures kill entire XHCI stack

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:37 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>
> Here's an interesting development:  as a result of a related thread on
> linux-media, I came across a patch they are distributing in openelec:
>
> https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/commit/b636927dec20652ff020e54ed7838a2e9be51e03
>
> Now I'm not saying that reverting the commit in question is the
> "right" thing to do, but I applied this patch and for the first time
> in 100+ tests it started to work (i.e. I'm not seeing the XHCI hcd
> tear down all the attached devices).
>
> Given what I've seen of the bug I cannot really explain why the
> scatter gather list sizes would have any bearing on TRBs for USB
> control messages to be added to the queue.  Perhaps we're hitting the
> upper bound of the list?  Any further speculation on my part would
> just make me look clueless...
>
> It would be great if you could offer any insight as to why the patch
> in question could be responsible for the behavior we're seeing.  I
> would really rather not just blindly check this patch into my local
> tree and declare "victory" without understanding the underlying issue
> and whether it's likely to cause other problems.

Just as another point of data...  I applied the patch to Mathias
for-usb-next-test branch and was able to record video and audio
through the Live2 for the first time using the xhci stack.  Attempting
to record a second video resulted in mythffmpeg returning:

[alsa @ 0xbf6560] cannot open audio device
plughw:CARD=Cx231xxAudio,DEV=0 (Device or resource busy)
plughw:CARD=Cx231xxAudio,DEV=0: Input/output error

I also get this error on the older hardware running ehci, although it
can be recovered by removing and re-inserting the Live2.  Attempting
to do this under xhci resulted in usb locking up somehow, lsusb never
returned.

syslog file at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1412121/+attachment/4305645/+files/2015-01-26-syslog-14.10-3.19rc5akg0.1.log

Thanks again to you both,