Fatal Exception on device when Hotsyncing Palm in linux

I own a Palm m505 and a while ago a developed programs using SuperWaba
and uploaded them using pilot-xfer. Using Ubuntu 14.04 I tried
Hotsyncing on the device but now the devices shows a dialog box
containing 'Fatal Exception' and then hangs.
I figured out using VirtualBox and old Ubuntu ISO images that
hotsyncing goes well in Ubuntu 9.04 and fatal exceptions start
occurring as early as Ubuntu 10.04.

Being a developer myself, what can I do to resolve this bug, e.g. how
do I turn on usb_serial_debug_data?

Hope to hear from you,

Henri Manson