Re: USB Creative Soundcard non-functioning on 3.13 kernel and above

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 robtongue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 December 2014 15:06:17 Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 robtongue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Ok I tried that kernel option first, and that actually worked without
> > > issue. I then tried your patch without that kernel option set, and it
> > > also worked. Finally I tried that kernel option =y with your patch, and
> > > it worked as well.
> > >
> > > So with that said, is there any need to provide further logs as without
> > > the
> > > patch seems to work?  If so I will provide.
> >
> > No need for logs.  Not using the Kconfig option would explain the
> > peculiar things I saw.
> >
> > I'm going to withhold the patch for now, as it could affect other
> > people adversely.  Since the Kconfig option solves your problem,
> > there's no real need for the patch.
> >
> > > As always, thank you for your time.
> >
> > You're welcome.
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> I will go ahead and file a bug with the gentoo devs to discuss this kernel
> option being set by default in their package.  As long as the benefit outweighs
> the cost.  If you tell me it should be set, then it should be set.

Yes, there's no good reason not to set the option.  I don't know of any
situation where leaving it off is better than turning it on.

The ability to turn it off probably should be removed entirely.  But
that part of the driver still is very weak; we never did a proper
implementation of the spec.  I'm inclined not to change it until it can
be made fully correct.

Alan Stern