Re: qcserial: AT unsolicited response codes missing with Sierra Wireless MC7304

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 11:25:45PM +0100, Reinhard Speyerer wrote:

> When using a MC7304 with firmware revision SWI9X15C_05.05.16.02 on
> Knoppix 7.4.2 with Linux kernel 3.16.3 and the qcserial driver I noticed
> that AT unsolicited response codes (URCs) like +CREG were missing (the mobile
> has been set to AT+CREG=2 before and <LACx>/<CIx> is used instead of the real
> LACs/CIs):

> Switching the mobile back to the option driver

> caused the missing +CREG: to reappear:

> The URCs are also present when using the vendor GobiSerial driver.

Do you have a link to that driver? The one I found does not seem to send
the control requests you mention below.

> Besides +CREG: other URCs like e.g. +CUSD: or +CMT: are also affected.
> MC7710 devices with VID/PID 0x1199/0x68a2 which I cross-checked for
> comparison do not show this problem.

The URCs are there also with qcserial?

> From comparing option.c and qcserial.c the only difference in
> initialization visible to me is the option_send_setup code.  The
> proposed patch below for kernel 3.19 or later moves Sierra Wireless
> VID/PID 0x1199/0x68c0 devices from the qcserial to the option driver
> using an appropriate blacklist for the QMI/network interfaces (8..11)
> and the USB audio interfaces (16..18) present in some firmwares.
>
> An alternative to this patch would be to add the option_send_setup code
> to qcserial.c for Sierra Wireless VID/PID 0x1199/0x68c0 devices.

I leaning towards adding modem-control support to qcserial (send_setup).

Can you confirm that the vendor driver is sending these control
requests?

And did you already verify that adding them to qcserial fixes the issue
with MC7304?

Thanks,
Johan