Re: [xhci_hcd] USB3 device unplug breaks system suspend

Alan Stern wrote:
> I don't follow your reasoning.  The Logitech mouse is also driven by
> xhci-hcd, and so is the Azurewave webcam.
Ah OK, I was under the impression that ehci_hcd was handling these,
since it shows up as used driver in the lspci output.

Anyway, I did some more tests.

1) I removed XHCI support from the kernel config and retried the
plug/unplug procedure with that kernel. Turns out that this makes the
issue worse. The system now wakes up even when the drive is still
plugged in.

2) I build XHCI as module and proceeded with this one. Suspend works
properly with the drive plugged in. I then unplugged it and unloaded the
XHCI module. Same issue appears (system immediately wakes up from
suspend). I then reloaded the XHCI module. This fixes the issue!
So something from the 'regular' initialization/deinitilization procedure
is missing when doing suspend/resume of the XHCI.

> I don't know what would be appropriate.  Someone more familiar with the
> xhci-hcd driver might be able to help.
>
> It's not always easy to tell why a device sends a wakeup signal.
Hmm, I got the impression that this issue is very similar to the
spurious wakeup problem when doing a system shutdown (and then the
system just reboots). Only just that this affects suspend and not shutdown.

With best wishes,
Tobias