Re: "Real" USB3 mass storage speed

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 11:55:29AM +0100, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> Hello
>
> As you know I am trying to improve the net2280 driver to a point where
> it is usable for my company (qtec.com). We develop smart cameras based
> on linux, and we want to provide also a mass storage interface to the
> camera.
>
> Right now, the maximum speed I have been able to achieve is around 80
> MiB per second. This is with the governor in performance mode and
> disabling idle states on the cpu.
>
> I wonder if any of you have meassured the maximum speed achievable via
> usb gadget mass storage via usb 3.0?

I got more than 100MiB/sec and I know Paul Zimmerman got 350MiB/sec
using a different host side stack. Both of these numbers were achieved
using dwc3 (drivers/usb/dwc3).

> And what about the fastest usb 3.0 ssd hard drive (no usb gadget)?
>
> If I want to get closer to the maximum speed should I just forget
> about mass storage and use something else? What?

not forget, but sniff. Get yourself a USB 3.0 bus analyzer and look at
the bus, why are you getting impacted so badly ? too many SOFs ? Also,
you might want to let g_mass_storage use 4 buffers (or maybe more) of
128KiB. Another option is to try the UASP gadget which Sebastian Siewior
wrote. That's a much better approach and also supports BOT.

Sebastian, do you still have any notes on how to use UASP gadget with
either RAM or a real storage backend ?

cheers

--
balbi