Re: one OHCI and EHCI conroller with multiple phys

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014, Arun Ramamurthy wrote:

> Hello
>
> One of our Broadcom chips has one OHCI and EHCI controller connected to three separate phys.
> The current generic EHCI driver ( ehci-platformc.c) assumes each controller has only one phy and thus we are forced to power on all three phys at the same time.

I don't understand.  If your EHCI controller is connected to three
PHYs, how can you avoid powering on all three of them at the same time?
If you only powered on some of the PHYs, wouldn't that mean that only
some of the ports would work?

> This limits us in terms of power management. I would like to patch the ehci driver to accept multiple phys. What is the community's opinion on this ? is there any ongoing work of this nature?

You can just submit a patch and see what the response is.  No need to
ask permission first.  :-)

Alan Stern