Re: usbserial / ftdi_sio (+ others) bug?

[ +CC: linux-usb]

Hi Doug,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:23:05AM -0500, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
> I just ran into the "lots ** of spurious zeros on read" problem
> with a XBee reader adapter (for USB) from Sparkfun. It is really
> annoying. Looked around and your name popped up on a linux-usb
> thread whose name is in the subject line.
>
> I have two different adapters:
>    - FT232RL based that has the "spurious zeros" problem
>    - FT231X based that works fine
>
> Probably related to the spurious zeros appearing in my test code
> is this in syslog:
>    ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback -
>                      nonzero urb status: -71

Do see this during normal operation? Or when disconnecting an open port?

In the former case it could indicate a hardware problem.

> I'm using lk 3.17.3 . Has there been any resolution to this problem?

The issue in the thread you refer to is a hardware one that is causing
overruns, which in turns gets reported as NULL-bytes. [ The driver bug
that is also discussed is only about whether it is possible to disable
this error reporting. ]

> Doug Gilbert
>
> ** my read()s are for 200 bytes and when this problem occurs, it
>     reads 200 bytes of zeros. And there is no LED illumination on the
>     XBee adapter that would usually indicate inbound data. This at
>     9600 baud so 200 chars would take at least 2 seconds.

Have you checked the interrupt counters (TIOCMGICOUNT ioctl) to see if
there have been overruns when this occurs?

You should also see it, albeit in a more raw form, in the status bytes
from the device if you enable debugging in usbserial.

Thanks,
Johan