Re: Displaylink Attached Display Adapater and Monitor Not Recognized

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Dennis Gesker wrote:

> By the way, Alan. Thank you for looking at that. I'd really like to
> get this working. --drg

Well, I'm not so much looking at this as trying to collect information
that will help the people who do know what to look for.  The standard
information requested by the "Submitting Bugs" form is almost
completely useless for USB-related problems.

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > lsusb -v

I also asked for the dmesg output.  What does that show?

> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 17e9:4318 DisplayLink
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               3.00
>   bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
>   bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
>   bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
>   bMaxPacketSize0         9
>   idVendor           0x17e9 DisplayLink
>   idProduct          0x4318
>   bcdDevice            1.02
>   iManufacturer           1
>   iProduct                2
>   iSerial                 3
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength          608
>     bNumInterfaces          7
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0xe0
>       Self Powered
>       Remote Wakeup
>     MaxPower                2mA

Okay.  I don't know if Linux supports this or not.  If it does, the
relevant driver is udl.  Is CONFIG_DRM_UDL enabled in your kernel
configuration?

Note that Displaylink has claimed they will add Linux support at some
indefinite time in the future, but they haven't added it yet.  Alan Cox
told you this back on October 6, but apparently you didn't pay
attention to what he or Oliver Neukum wrote.

Alan Stern