Re: fat32-vfat differences?

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I have some update firmware on a vfat key.  While that system reports the
> key as being plugged in when I do the insertion, when I ask its update
> facility to do an update, the sandisks led blinks a time or 2 & reports it
> can't find the update.

Have you tried mounting the VFAT filesystem and getting a file listing
to see what's there?  How about running dosfsck on the filesystem's
partition?

> I tried to mountr it as fat32, but linux says it has no knowledge of
> fat32, yet the target system is expecting fat32 only.

FAT32 support is part of the regular FAT support.  If your kernel
understands FAT filesystems at all then it understands FAT32.

> Is this something I can fix with a fresh usb key?

Probably not.  In fact, this probably has nothing to do with USB at
all.

Alan Stern