Re: Ability to specify SCM_MULT_TARG quirk on command line

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, Mark wrote:

> > It's probably better just to rely on entries to the unusual_devs.h
> > file.  Those are automatically be available to anyone with an
> > up-to-date kernel, with no need for messing around with module
> > parameters.
>
> The trouble is though, that requires the user compile their own kernel.
> Which may not be practical due to lack of knowledge or e.g. booting from a
> live CD.

This arises only if somebody has a device with multi-target capability
that isn't already listed in unusual_devs.h.  Since such devices are so
rare, we shouldn't have to worry about this possibility.

> I can submit patches for devices I don't own to cover more (hopefully
> almost all) SCM-based devices, e.g. the USBConnect 2000 patch I submitted
> recently. But I wasn't sure what values to use for bcdDeviceMin and
> bcdDeviceMax. 0 and 0x9999 would probably be best, so I'll repost the patch
> with that change.
>
> Another issue relates to manufacturer USB ID screw-ups. The Buffalo
> USB-SCSI cable is a good example. According to the Windows INF file
> available from
>   http://buffalo.jp/download/driver/hd/mos-s640usb.html
> its USB ID is 0411:0001.
>
> However, according to the INF file from
>   http://buffalo.jp/download/driver/lan/lua-tx.html
> the LUA-TX USB-Ethernet adapter can have ID 0411:0005 or 0411:0001... sigh.
>
> Given that, would it be possible/advisable to have an unusual-devs.h entry
> for the Buffalo USB-SCSI cable?

It would be nice to get confirmation first from somebody who has one of
those cables.

Alan Stern