Re: Updated linux uas driver, please test

Hi,

On 09/10/2014 10:54 PM, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> On 14-09-10 08:13 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm mailing all of you because you've reported various problems
>> with the new uas support in kernel 3.16 and later.
>>
>> I've been working on making the uas driver more resilient to
>> errors, as well as improved logging so we can easier figure
>> out the cause of errors.
>>
>> I would like to ask you all to test a standalone version of
>> the new uas driver with the devices you've been having
>> trouble with before, and report the results to me.
>>
>> Testing instructions:
>>
>> 1) Remove any usb-storage.quirks= setting from the kernel commandline,
>> and remove any /etc/modprobe.conf* files doing the same, boot your
>> machine without the uas device attached.
>>
>> 2) Make sure your machine is set up for building kernel modules,
>> usually this means installing kernel-devel and gcc packages, see
>> your distributions documentation for more info
>>
>> 3) Download all files from here:
>> https://fedorapeople.org/~jwrdegoede/uas/
>> And put them all in a single directory, named e.g. uas
>>
>> 4) Start a terminal, cd into the uas directory
>>
>> 5) Run the following commands:
>> make
>> sudo rmmod uas
>> sudo insmod ./uas.ko
>>
>> 6) Connect your uas device
>>
>> 7) Wait for the disk to show up (wait circa 1 minute max), then do:
>>
>> dmesg > dmesg.log
>> lsusb -v > lsusb.log
>>
>> 8) Test the uas disk
>>
>> Once done please send me a mail, in this mail please
>>
>> 1) Describe how the disk worked, did it show up in a reasonable time,
>> and did it work?
>>
>> 2) Attach dmesg.log and lsusb.log
>
> Could you give some sort of indication of the dd throughput
> time (on READs) with UAS given a recent SATA SSD that can
> source data faster than 300 MB/sec (say)?

I've done tests with 3 dd running simultaneously, reading data
from 3 different parts of the disk, and I'm getting about 110 MB/s
for each dd, so about 330 MB / s in total.

This is with a Crucial M500 ssd, with both asm1053 and nec chipsets.

> My ASM1051 based dock under W7 got an underwhelming maximum
> of 42 MB/sec with such a SATA SSD. And I saw enough stupid
> meta-data from SCSI commands to suggest that product should
> be binned.

42 MB/s sounds like you're running over USB-2 not USB-3 (although for
USB-2 it is very good, but uas should be able to get pretty close
to saturating the bus with USB-2).

Regards,

Hans