Re: your old usbtree utility

On Wednesday 10 September 2014 17:18:27 Alan Stern did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 September 2014 15:17:24 Randy Dunlap wrote:
> >
> > Adding linux-usb, perhaps someone there can tell me how to tame this
> > beast.

> That's because the receiver is a USB device but the mouse isn't.  The
> mouse connects wirelessly to the receiver; it doesn't connect via USB.
>
> Now if you had a _real_ USB mouse -- one that connected to the computer
> via a USB cable -- then it would show up in the listing.

> > > I would expect the generic USB mouse driver to handle that mouse,
> > > but I could be wrong.
> >
> > One of these:?
> > hid_generic              677  0
> > usbhid                 31703  0
> > snd_hda_codec_analog     7519  1
> > hid                    76357  2 hid_generic,usbhid
>
> usbhid is the one.  And it does handle the device, as you can see in
> the output you included above.

Humm, and this driver is supposed to handle the trackpad-like MMB on this
mouse?  If so, either this mouse is funkity, or whatever, its intermittent
as far as the MMB is concerned, and I can either power cycle the mouse, or
reboot the machine when it fails.  But it is also way too sensitive at
times, and that is even more aggravating.

I'll dig around a bit whenever I get upset enough, but no patch I've ever
suggested has ever passed muster.  So I haven't tried in 10 years now.
That was to floppy.c at the time and I was told its racy as can be, but
nothing was going to be done.

That of course is not your fault Alan, It may even predate you.  Maybe...

> > > They will probably want some kind of diagnostic info about the
> > > product.
> >
> > I am getting that list, but I'm out of listname space in kmail, so it
> > gets sorted to one of the other, lower traffic lists.
> >
> > But I'll check that out and get out of your hair, thanks Randy.
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Alan Stern

Thanks Alan.