Re: [RFC]Johan's patch for touchscreens and port power off

On Tue, 2014-09-09 at 14:33 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> Only runtime D3cold would be affected.  System suspend would still be
> able to use D3cold.

Yes. But it looks like system suspend is on the way out in the long run.

> Also, if the user doesn't care about the touchscreen, you could unbind
> it from the driver.  Then the kernel would suspend it and power-off the
> port before the device could reconnect.

1. This solution has an inevitable race with open()
2. Unbinding devices that need constant polling is risky.
   Something can keep the devices awake until it reconnects.
3. What do you do in the case of system suspend?

In short, this looks like a very bad idea to me.

	Regards
		Oliver