Re: Iomega SCSI-to-USB cable problem

On Mon, September 8, 2014 21:25, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2014, Mark wrote:

>> I managed to find an old Jaz drive and tested it with my cable. It seems
>> to work fine, so the cable firmware does restrict itself to working with
>> Jaz drives. I had the drive SCSI ID set to 4, so it seems the firmware
>> scans the bus and talks to the first(?) Jaz drive it sees.
>>
>> However there were still four messages saying "usb 7-1: reset full speed
>> USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd" in dmesg output. But the drive could
>> be accessed, INQUIRY returned sensible data etc. Those reset messages
>> didn't appear on booting with the single-LUN quirk. Take a look at the
>> usbmon logs below. So it seems the Iomega SCSI-USB cable needs
>> US_FL_SINGLE_LUN.
>
> Indeed, all the messages attempting to probe LUN 1 failed.  That's what
> caused the resets.
>
> On the other hand, even with the SINGLE_LUN flag and a Jaz drive
> attached, it didn't really work.  Every TEST UNIT READY command got a
> Not Ready; No Medium Present error response.

That's almost certainly normal; when I captured the usbmon logs there was
no disk in the drive.

Hopefully I'll post a patch to add the single-LUN quirk for the Iomega
cable to unusual-devs.h shortly.

> But how much time do you really want to spend on this?  Unless you've
> got some highly important data stored on those old Jaz drives, it
> doesn't seem worthwhile.  The adapter connects at a measly 12 Mb/s
> (which means transfer rates well under 1 MB/s in practice) and the
> drives probably don't have a large storage capacity.  A small USB flash
> drive would hold more data and communicate much faster.

Sure, for use with a modern system there's probably not much point except
for curiosity's sake. But for imaging/copying data from old Jaz disks it's
a convenient way to connect the SCSI drive to a modern laptop. It's also
handy for data interchange with vintage SCSI-based computers (classic Mac,
Amiga, etc.).

Even at USB 1.1 speeds, imaging a 1GB or 2GB Jaz disk doesn't take a huge
amount of time. [There were a few USB 2.0 SCSI converters, e.g. the
Adaptec USB2Xchange and Ratoc U2SCX. But apart from being expensive they
probably don't "just work" in Linux.]

Mark