Re: ax88179_178a hang over xhci

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 03:33:04PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> Andrea, Dan Williams has a set of patches that should resolve this
> issue, please test these:

Ok great.

> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=140872773111261&w=2

Could you rebase on current upstream, this is against 16-rc5. For now
I'll test commit e65e21a542cab81d794db4e5fe919c4e1d624ea7 on 16-rc5
without weaking any /sysfs pm runtime related file, and I'll let you
know if it hangs again.

> > I'm running
> > ax88179_178a in two places without apparent problems, interestingly I
> > didn't reproduce more lockups after turning off the powersave
> > feature. The only catch is that the xhci hang is not easily
> > reproducible...
>
> Which powersave feature?

Never mind I let the stress test run overnight again and it hung even
with autosuspend/control set to the default value. In short it still
hangs... but it's not easy to reproduce, in some case it takes several
hours, sometime it hangs in a few minutes.

> What do you mean by hang?  Do other USB devices work under xhci (e.g.
> mouse and keyboard) but the ethernet stops working?  Or all USB devices
> under xHCI stop working?  Or the xHCI driver causes a kernel oops?
> What's the failure mode?

I posted all the kernel logs in the previous email with dynamic debug
enabled too. No oops. rmmod xhci_hcd; modprobe xhci_hcd recovers fine
from it. There are no other xhci devices in use, I didn't test what
would happen to them after the hang if they were connected.

Thanks,
Andrea